Dr. Laura Bier brought together a group of scholars to explore issues of gender, rights, and activism in the Middle East.
The event featured a panel discussion and luncheon from 12:00 - 2:00 PM and a keynote talk from 2:15 - 4:00 PM.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
12:00 – 2:00 PM Lunch Panel: Human Rights, Humanitarianism, and Political Activism
- Marwa Shalaby, Director, Women’s Rights in the Middle East Program, Rice University
- Mona Tajali, Department of Women’s Studies, Agnes Scott College
- Abbas Barzegar, Department of Religious Studies, Georgia State University
- Laura Bier, School of History and Sociology, Georgia Tech
2:15 – 4:00 PM Keynote Speaker:
- Abdullahi An-Na’im Charles Howard Candler Professor of Law, Emory University
“The Politics of Rights in a World of Wrongs: Making Rights Relevant”