Communications Student Assistant Position
Posted April 27, 2021
A Communications Student Assistant position with the Ivan Allen College is available for the Summer semester, beginning May 15, 2021. The position will focus on writing news articles, social media posts and other communications tasks as needed.
The position is open to undergraduate or graduate students, who will be employed in the appropriate employment category according to Georgia Tech policies.
Applicants are encouraged to apply by May 3, 2021 for optimal consideration; however, applications will continue to be considered until the position is filled.
Email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants who are selected for interview may be asked to submit writing samples and/or participate in a writing assessment.
A student communications assistant in the Ivan Allen College of Liberal Arts (IAC) Communications office will be expected to:
- Work will primarily be remote, in adherance to Georgia Tech safety guidelines and protocols, with limited onsite work in the IAC communications office using Dean’s Office equipment and systems.
- Carry out daily tasks and projects as assigned by the director of communications, managing project workflow to meet specifications and deadlines.
- Work in collaboration with staff to ensure cohesive, coordinated communications, and to meet expectations and deadlines. Participate in project and tactic planning and development of goals as applicable.
- Ensure that all communications materials conform to GT/IAC guidelines, systems, filing and other organizational specifications. Perform documentation as needed or requested.
- Work in a professional manner appropriate to the dean’s office.
Location: Remote and Ivan Allen College Dean’s Office
Supervisor: Denise Ward, Ivan Allen College Director of Communications
Time Commitment: 20 hours per week (if enrolled in summer courses) or 40 hours per week (if not enrolled in summer courses). The position requires commitment to a regular schedule of hours within the business day (9a-6p), as approved by the Director of Communications.
Pay: $10-$15 per hour
- Provide administrative support to programs and internal teams.
- Draft and edit communications copy (e.g. news articles, newsletter briefs, press releases, publications, social media posts).
- Assist in maintaining web content and executing social media strategies.
- Update databases and media lists.
- Post stories, events, photos, and other content and update College website content through Drupal content management system.
- Logistical support for events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Strong writer with competent knowledge of grammar, sentence structure, and narrative voices.
- Familiarity with journalism and communications tasks.
- Strong familiarity with social media: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, etc.
- Web and tech savvy; familiarity with website content management system
- Knowledge of design basics such as web page layout and graphic design.
- Proficient in MS Office
- Familiarity with design software (e.g. Adobe Photoshop, InDesign) and content management systems is a plus
- Familiarity with website standards, AMAC accessibility guidelines, familiarity with basics of SEO.
- Video production experience is a plus. Edit on Adobe Premiere Pro Creative Cloud.
- Outstanding organizational ability.
- Task oriented. Flexibility and ability to pivot when tasks are re-prioritized.